Monday, April 16, 2007

Birth class & Hospital tour

We had our all-day birth class and hospital tour this weekend. Wow, did it ever make things seem close!!! We spent most of the day talking about the stages of labour, the role of the support person, and some pain coping techniques and breathing exercises. (click on the hospital logo to go to their website)

Sean and I came up with a breathing technique that I think will work for me - him doing hand movements similar to a conductor. Having been in the choir all those years I think following a conductor will come as second nature. Well, we'll be trying all kinds of things, including the jacuzzi tub, breathing, walking, and of course, drugs. :)

Anyway as a result of the class I think we both have a better idea of how the day(s) might play out and what to expect... At least, in theory.

The rooms themselves are all new too, and pretty nice. They are way into promoting bonding between mom and baby (ie putting the baby on mom's chest and doing apgars there, waiting to do the eye gel until a while later, starting breastfeeding as soon as you and baby feel ready).

The best part of the class? When the teacher brought out all kinds of items to use for back massage, and the guys practiced massaging their partners' back. We could have done that ALL day and I would have been happy with the class :) hee hee.

All in all I was really encouraged by the day and I think it gave Sean a better idea of some things he'll be able to do to help me through it. Oh one thing that came up was whether or not Sean will be able to cut the cord. I'm sure the caregivers will allow (and encourage) it, I'm just not sure Sean's stomach will. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!